Megan Thee Stallion and her label 1501 Certified Entertainment are not seeing eye to eye. Former Major League Baseball player Carl Crawford is the label’s CEO. So you would think he’d be considerate of the artists on the label since he was once in the major spotlight.
Unfortunately, that’s not the case. Megan resorted to filing a lawsuit against the label. She is asking for at least $1 million USD because they are not letting her release any new music.
According to reports, the lawsuit goes in-depth depicting the allegedly suspicious details of her contract. Thee Stallion has reveled that 1501 legally takes 60% of her recording income, while the remaining 40% gets divided between her own royalties and payments for engineers, mixers, and featured artists. All the money she makes from touring and live appearances get directly sent to 1501! They are supposed to provide her with a proper financial breakdown of her own profit, she claims the records they’ve given her are incomplete and “purposefully and deceptively vague.”
Take a look into how even dirtier the industry gets, Meg alleges Crawford is taking advantage of a relationship he has with Rap-a-Lot Records founder J.Prince. Together the two of them put heat on other important figures in the industry. The lawsuit also states the 1501 CEO pressured an unnamed producer to submit some beats by claiming that it would anger Prince if he didn’t. “Prince is notorious in the industry for strong-armed intimidation tactics, and the comment was taken as a physical threat of harm,” the suit reads.
The H-Town rapper also claims she only received a $10,000 dollar advance when she signed with the record label. The long-term outcomes are not “worth it,” pushing her to renegotiate.
Meg and her legal team just received some great news. A district judge representing Harris County, Texas blessed the rapper with a temporary restraining order against the label. Which in turn allows The Stallion to release her new joints sooner than later.
“We are very happy the Court granted our TRO and thrilled that the world should be able to now hear Megan’s new music on March 6.”
“We will now proceed with the other claims set fourth in the lawsuit.”
– Richard Busch (Meg’s attorney)
What do you think IMUer’s? Are you excited to hear the new music? How do you think the lawsuit will turn out?
(Cover photo courtesy of TMZ, video courtesy of 9MagTV, source Hypebeast)