The United States will be sending approximately 3,000 US soldiers to the Middle East. Three U.S. defense officials and one U.S. military official confirmed to NBC News on Friday. Thousands of people stormed the compound of the US Embassy in Baghdad.
This was announced right after an American airstrike killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani. He was one of the countries most powerful figures as Qaseem was a commander of the Secretive Quds Force.
According to NBC News, The soldiers will join roughly 650 others already deployed to the region and stay there for some 60 days, the officials said. The immediate response force will be spread throughout the region, with some soldiers in Iraq and others in Kuwait. At least 25 militia fighters were killed in the U.S. airstrikes Sunday on weapons depots in Iraq and Syria that the United States said were linked to Kataeb Hezbollah.
At the time of the drone attack, Soleimani had been “plotting imminent and sinister” attacks against U.S. interests, President Donald Trump said from his Mar-a-lago resort in Florida on Friday, in his first public remarks after ordering the airstrike that killed Soleimani.
“We caught him in the act and terminated him,” Trump said. “His reign of terror is over.”-NBC